The Case for Metro Apps - They act like mobile apps

I recently had a post about how an android tablet was helping me stay in contact with my various clients. A very smart developer friend of mine gave me an even better tip that saved me $500. Metro Apps!

The Problem
As I discussed in the earlier post The Case for Tablets, as a technology consultant, I have many clients and many email addresses to keep track of. A few of my clients give me a company email address. This is great, but they won't allow me to access the address on my personal outlook client for security concerns. This makes is very difficult to keep track of my schedule and comms.

The Separate Device Solution
Now I'm a tech guy...so any excuse to get another device is just awesome. So when I realized that I could access the corporate emails on a tablet gave me a great excuse to buy a supe'd up android tablet and a cool keyboard. I was great having a new device to play with.

The Value Dilemma
God is always good. 2 days after purchasing my tablet my main mobile computing device a Surface Pro 3, started making bad sounds and the battery life was dropping to 3 hours on a full charge. Well that just won't do for a mobile tech pro like mu-self. So now I have a problem. I need a new main mobile box...the tablet won't do for hard core computing...now what. I took the shiny new tablet back and pulled an old 7 inch tablet out and was resigned to use that pig. I just could justify 2 brand new devices for my new company.

Out of the Mouths of Babes
While in an adhoc meeting at one of my clients, I was telling a young developer about my dilemma, lamenting about having to give up my shiny new toy. He said that many of the Windows Metro apps present as mobile apps...maybe the corporate email server will let it go thru.  Badda Bing Badda Boom! It did!

Windows Mail My Hero
Now, I am rocking the Windows Metro Mail app. Once I discovered how to link email accounts, I can easily see all my work emails in a single list, and all my personal emails in another list.

I have a unified calendar....showing personal and 4 different client calendars...all color coded



What works?  Metro Mail for Consultants.....that's Wut Wurx.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

orb